Friday, March 16, 2012

Happy Birthday, Dad!

When Mom called me that Friday afternoon, I immediately knew something was wrong.  I could tell in  the tone of her voice.  I still clearly remember what she said, "Hi honey," I said Hi Mom, then "Dad has had a heart attack. . . "  What?  I couldn't believe my ears, my heart dropped.  This couldn't be happening to my dad, because up until this point I just simply took it for granted that you and Mom would be around forever (or at least until I didn't need you anymore, which you know won't happen because I will always need you).  You were only 61 years old and if you ask me, that is way too young to be having a heart attack.  Mom was crying but tried to reassure me that you were going to be okay.  She told me it was a minor heart attack (come to find out later your levels were the highest some of the nurses had ever seen in their whole careers so I don't think it was too minor).  I called Justin to tell him and when he got home he told me to get in the car and go.  I came down by myself because I had to be there for you, for Mom.  I had to see for myself that you were going to be okay.  The drive down was crazy and because I got stuck in road work traffic I didn't make it to the hospital in time to see you that night. 

The next morning I was up and ready to go early because I couldn't wait to see you.  It was a very somber feel in the cardiac ICU with the central nurses station and all the rooms around the perimeter.  I could see in the other rooms and there were some people who were on ventilators and in comas with all kinds of tubes hooked up to them. I was actually afraid to see you to see what kind of shape you were in, and then we got to your room and I was so relieved because you looked great.  I had to stay long enough to make sure that you really were going to be okay.  I used to call home and mostly talk to Mom, but now I need to hear your voice and make sure that you are still feeling good and doing what you are supposed to (I don't mean to nag, just want you around a lot longer).

You kept telling me that you were given a second chance and I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am that you are still here.  I try to make a conscious effort every day to be grateful for my family and realize how fragile life really is and that it can change in an instant. 

I thank God every day for helping you to get off that mountain.  I thank God every day that Mom had the sense to not even hesitate, but to get you in the truck and drive to Panguitch.  I know you had other angels watching over you too.


happy birthday

Source

Happy birthday, Dad!  I am so grateful that you got a second chance.  We have a lot more memories to make!

I love you with all my heart!    

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs