Thursday, April 14, 2011

Semper Fi

My dad enlisted in the Marine Corps in the late 1960's and went to Vietnam.  I don't know a lot about what happened while he was in Vietnam, only that he doesn't really want to talk about it.  I have seen pictures of him in his Dress Blues and all I could think was how handsome he looked.  We wanted to do a sign for my dad because he is proud of being a Marine and we are so very grateful that he served our country (and fortunate that he came home safe)!

Here is his sign before we sanded:


And here it is after sanding:





I had always heard the phrase "Semper Fi,"
but I had no idea what it actually meant.
Semper Fidelis is a Latin phrase that
means "always faithful."


I found this information on the web @ http://www.usmcpress.com/heritage/marine_corps_motto.htm
The Marine Corps adopted Semper Fidelis as its official motto in 1883 (Semper Fidelis is also the title of the official musical March of the Marine Corps).  Translated from Latin, Semper Fidelis means "Always Faithful."  U.S. Marines use an abbreviated verbal version, "Semper Fi," to voice loyalty and commitment to their Marine comrades-in-arms.  Previous mottos of the Marine Corps were (1) To the Shores of Tripoli, adopted in 1805; (2) Fortitude, adopted in 1812; (3) From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli, adopted in 1848; and (4) By Sea and by Land, adopted in the 1850's.

I went to http://www.marines.com/ because I was curious about what the Marines stand for.  You will be amazed at all the symbols that they have, including on their flag.

I hope my dad enjoys this sign and it reminds him of the bonds he has with his fellow Marines.
Love you Dad!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs